Is Malachite Toxic and Poisonous? 7 Side Effects

Jorge Silva
Is Malachite Toxic and Poisonous? 7 Side Effects

Malachite is a copper carbonate mineral that is used as a pigment and in glassware.

It can also be found in jewelry and used to decorate pottery. At the same time, Malachite is not toxic but can cause unpleasant side effects if handled incorrectly.

  • If you wear Malachite jewelry using harsh chemicals, the copper will react with the chemical and turn green or black on your skin;

  • Exposure to heat (sunlight, for example) can result in the darkening of the stone;

  • Malachite has been known to emit an odor similar to ammonia when exposed to sunlight;

  • It’s best not to use a wire brush on this type of stone because it could damage its surface and cause tiny flakes of copper ore inside the gemstone.

Is Malachite toxic to the touch?


You may be wondering if Malachite is safe to touch.

This is an important question because it contains copper, which, when touched or ingested, can cause several problems.

Copper toxicity occurs when too much accumulates in your system over time.

Symptoms include headache, nausea, stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea, but they can also have high blood pressure, skin lesions, and liver damage.

Malachite could be toxic to the touch because it contains copper, which, when touched or ingested, can cause several problems.

Is Malachite poisonous?

Malachite earrings
Malachite earrings

Malachite is a dark green variety of copper carbonate. It is found in mines worldwide and is usually associated with copper ores.

Malachite was first mined in Russia and named after the Greek word for mallow, which it resembled.

Malachite has many different uses and has been used by humans since antiquity.

Some people use it as an ornamental stone because of its beautiful deep green color and interesting patterns.

Malachite can be cut into cabochons or made into beads worn as jewelry or decoration on clothing or walls.

It is poisonous if ingested in large quantities.

It may also cause skin irritation if it comes into contact with skin and eye irritation if it gets in your eyes.

No other known side effects of malachite have been studied at length so far.

The main thing to watch out for when handling malachite is exposure to ultraviolet light.

Exposure can damage the green coloration of the stone, leaving white blotches or yellowish-green stains where exposed areas were once green.

Why is this stone toxic and poisonous?

Malachite stone

Malachite is a metamorphic rock that forms in the Earth’s crust. It has been used as an ornamental stone, gemstone, or lapidary material for thousands of years.

Malachite is toxic and poisonous because it contains copper, which can be absorbed by the body when worn over time.

The body cannot easily get rid of the excess copper, so people with liver problems are more susceptible to these harmful toxins.

Long-term malachite exposure may lead to joint pain due to arthritis and other chronic conditions like gout or arthritis.

In addition, some individuals who have experienced irritation from long-term contact with malachite stones have reported green stains on the skin from wearing malachite jewelry.

Others say symptoms include stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration.

Another issue with malachite is called malachite erythema, where patches of redness appear on the skin following prolonged contact with this mineral.

Can I still use this stone?

Yes, you can still use Malachite.

If you experience any of the following symptoms, please discontinue use or consult your doctor.

These are just a few side effects reported by various sources online and may not be exhaustive.

As always, it is best to consult a healthcare professional if you have any questions or concerns.

  • If used during pregnancy, as it might lead to miscarriage or early labor;

  • If used during menstruation, it might lead to uterine contractions or an infection;

  • It might also trigger asthma attacks in people with asthma and nosebleeds for people who suffer from Rhinitis.

Can Malachite get wet?

Yes, Malachite can get wet.

Unlike other crystals that absorb water, malachite repels it, so water droplets will bead up and roll off the surface.

However, prolonged exposure to moisture over time could cause the malachite’s color to fade.

To avoid this, store your Malachite away from heat or cold sources and ensure that it dries completely before storing again.

You should also clean your Malachite with a mild soap solution followed by warm water only when necessary.

The natural oils in your skin and hands may change color if they come into contact with it too often. If you have any questions about how to care for your Malachite, consult an expert!

7 Possible side effects of Malachite

Malachite Side Effects

Malachite, also known as the stone of transformation, has been popular among crystal enthusiasts since it was first introduced to the public in the 1850s by Auguste de Saint-Hilaire.

It has been used by healers, shamans, and medicine men and women throughout history to aid physical health and spiritual awakening.

However, not every crystal user has had positive experiences with this crystal, and it has reportedly been responsible for several side effects over the years.

Keep reading to learn about 7 possible side effects of Malachite!

1) Uneasiness

It’s not uncommon for people new to Malachite to feel uneasy.

This is because Malachite carries a strong, energetic vibration and is meant for those who can handle it.

If you’re feeling skeptical, try grounding yourself by connecting with the Earth by either going outside and barefoot or lying down on your back in the grass.

2) Over-excitability

Many people use Malachite to bring on a state of calm and relaxation.

However, one common side effect is over-excitability. This can happen if the person is already prone to hyperactivity or when taken in large doses.

Over-excitability can lead to insomnia and irritability. Some people may also experience dizziness, headaches, and vertigo while using Malachite.

3) Headache

The headaches I experienced while using Malachite were the worst, lasting for days.

My head felt like it would explode sometimes, and I had no idea what to do about it. I would even get a headache if I looked at the stone without holding it in my hands first.

It seemed as though the pain was transferred from the stone into me. At one point, I threw it across the room when I couldn’t take any more of it.

4) Skin Irritation

Malachite can cause skin irritation when it comes into contact with the skin.

This results from the high copper content in the stone and can cause a rash or redness on the skin.

Skin irritation from Malachite is less common than other types like turquoise, but it happens occasionally.

It will typically occur when someone wears Malachite as jewelry for prolonged periods.

5) Eye Strain

Eye strain is one of the malachite’s most common side effects, especially if you have been looking at it for a long time.

Malachite eye strain can lead to headaches and fatigue.

If you experience these symptoms after staring at malachite for a long time, take breaks every 20 minutes or wear glasses with UV protection lenses.

6) Breathing Difficulties

The Malachite can cause breathing difficulties if not handled correctly. If a person is struggling with asthma or has lung disease, they should avoid taking the Malachite.

This includes those with bronchitis or emphysema, the elderly, and small children

The problem with Malachite is that it blocks oxygen absorption in the lungs, which means you can’t breathe properly when you are around it.

7) Constipation

Constipation is a common side effect of Malachite.

Malachite can cause digestive issues due to its high copper content, which can interfere with the absorption of nutrients and prevent regular bowel movements.

To alleviate constipation, drink plenty of water and eat foods high in fiber, like fruits and vegetables.

Should I use this stone?

Using Malachite stone

Malachite is a beautiful and powerful stone, but it’s not for everyone.

Malachite has a strong energy that can be too intense for some people to handle. If you are pregnant, have epilepsy, suffer from respiratory problems, or are prone to depression, it’s best to avoid Malachite.

It also should not be worn by anyone with heart disease, as the stones sometimes create an irregular heartbeat.

Be sure to use your intuition when deciding whether or not to use any crystal, including Malachite. Crystals may enhance certain aspects of your life while making others more difficult.

The most important thing is to listen to what your body is telling you.

Final Words

If you are interested in incorporating Malachite into your life, do not hesitate to do so! Some people have allergic reactions to malachite by touching, wearing, or inhaling it.

These individuals may develop itching skin rashes, watery eyes, shortness of breath, and skin lesions.

Prolonged exposure to Malachite dust or other particles has been linked with respiratory problems such as asthma due to an inflammatory response and reduced lung oxygen intake.

Sometimes, a hypersensitive person may experience an asthmatic reaction when exposed to Malachite for the first time.

One study found that at high concentrations (above 3 milligrams per cubic meter), Malachite can cause a reduction in lung function; however, most of these findings were based on animal studies where animals were exposed to extremely high concentrations over prolonged periods.

Amazing articles:

1 comment
  1. Gosh we have the same experience. I was so curious about it with all it’s positive effects but had the worst migraine ever after wearing a pair of malachite earrings. I ended up giving it to a new owner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts